1. Life is not fair, get used to it.
2. The world won"t care about your self-esteem. The
world will expect you to accomplish something before
you feel good about yourself.
3. You will not make 40 thousand dollars a year right
out of high school. You won"t be a vice president with
a car phone, until you earn both.
4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you
get a boss. He doesn"t have tenure.
5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping;
they called it opportunity.
6. If you mess up, it"s not your parents" fault, so
don"t whine about our mistakes, learn from them.
7. Before you were born, your parents weren"t as
boring as they are now. They got that way from paying
your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you
talk about how cool you are. So before you save the
rain forest from the parasites of your parents"
generation, try "delousing" the closet in your own
8. Your school may have done away with winners and
losers, but life has not. In some schools they have
abolished failing grades; they"ll give you as many
times as you want to get the right answer. This
doesn"t bear the slightest resemblance to anything in
9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don"t get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.
10. Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
11. Be nice to nerds. Chances are
you"ll end up working for one.